Thursday, January 24, 2013

My top ten favorite Christian movies~by Kyle

 
Hi everyone! During the wintertime here in good ole rainy Lewis County (Washington State does NOT deserve to be called anything close to "good"), movies and books become a staple in our household. It rains more often then not this time of year, and it currently gets dark at around 5:00 PM. As a result, you will often find our family gathered in our living room (where we have our own personal "theater") watching some movie or another or reading one of our family's classic books like Where the Red Fern Grows, the one we just finished. I bet our family is not alone in our hibernation-like preferences in the winter, so pass the popcorn and resolve to work off the buttery calories the day after tomorrow again! here is my list of favorite Christian movies:

1. Courageous   My overall rating: 5    
       Simply the most awesome movie ever made! And the message in it is exactly what is needed in our day! It has everything a good movie needs: Action, an evangelistic message, several tear-jerking scenes, lovable characters, humor, strongly portrayed morals, and so much more. As far as the PG-13 rating, I personally do not think it is worthy of that. Timmy and Joe love it.

2. The Grace Card   My overall rating: 4.75
    Another very good police movie! Though quite a bit grittier than Courageous, The Grace Card has just as good of a message, particularly in grace. :0) There are many scenes where a poor acting crew would be painfully exposed (as they so often are in Christian movies), but this movie's actors nail their scenes almost every time. It too will keep you very well entertained, laugh, cry, and come away with a strong Christian message. I think it is rated PG-13 too, and that rating might be deserving. Again, Timmy and Joe watched and enjoyed this movie, though.

3. Fireproof    My overall rating: 4.5
   You can't go wrong with a Sherwood Picture's movie. Fireproof and Facing the Giants are virtually a tie in my opinion, but Fireproof wins 3# because of its powerful message about marriage. Another movie that no Christian should be without!

4. Facing the Giants   My overall rating: 4.5
   Awesome! This movie has many good memories wrapped into it, as we have often had it along for family trips and watched it during family movie nights. Even better, it has football in it!

5. The Widow's Might   My overall rating: 4.25
   There is no action in this movie (a negative in any teenager boy's opinion), but the movie moves along at a good pace and keeps you entertained pretty well. It is just a small, but significant, step below Fireproof and Facing the Giants in my opinion.

6. The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry   My overall rating: 4
   Again, no action, but the "good ole day" (it's set in the '60s, I think) feeling of the movie and movie quality lifts it above most of its competition. It has a great message about sharing the Good News with others, though one of the young characters "feelings" towards a female character is rather corny since they are both around the age of 12.

7. End of the Spear   My overall rating: 3.75
   Since I have only watched this movie thrice, and mostly only remember some of the rather disturbing scenes, I can't really gauge where this movie sits in my list. But wow! What a story. The movie chronicles the mission, and eventually the martyrdom, of Nate Saint and his friends.

8. Jerusalem Countdown   My overall rating: 3.75
   This new-found favorite of mine's (I can't say as much for my sisters) is one of the few good Christian action movies out there. In my opinion it is better than the Left Behind movies in the apocalyptic genre. If you want to bite your finger nails for an hour and a half, this movie will fit the bill nicely.

9. The Penny   My overall rating: 3.5
   Another new-found favorite. The acting is sketchy at times, but the last half-hour, when the story is all tied together, makes watching well worth it.

10. Last Ounce of Courage   My Overall rating: 3.5
   I almost begrudgingly place this movie above some of the other competition like Flywheel and Christmas with a Capital C. Though I was somewhat disappointed with the rather weak (in my opinion) message, I appreciate what they were aiming at. It is worth a watch . . . if you've got nothing else going on.
 
  What are your favorite Christian movies? Comment below!












2 comments:

  1. What is the Widow's Might about? I've heard of it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kari!

    The Widow's Might is basically a fictional story about two young filmmakers and their families taking a stand for an elderly widow. The widow's land is almost "stolen" from her by the government, and to fight this, the main characters make a cowboy film paralleling her plight and enter it into a film festival. The winner of the 2009 (or somewhere near that year) San Antonio Film Festival, I think The Widow’s Might is well worth watching. Feel free to borrow it the next time our families get together. :0)

    Hope you enjoy your weekend!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete