Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The end is near~by Kyle


They are coming. I can feel it. Already two of my three sisters have re-appeared from the labyrinth of this foreboding place, their faces beaming as they announce that their doom has not yet come. My brother Timmy . . . not so lucky. More of the same for him. I can hear the sound of footsteps approaching; my doom has come. They will summon me, and when I re-appear, I will be resolved to face the gloating of my sisters. Yes, they will have won. I will be beaten. I will have had my first cavity removed, for I feel certain I have one. As I sit here in the chamber of this dentist place, I remember the uncomfortable feeling I have when anything sweet touches one of the teeth on the top right part of my mouth. Yes, I have lost. Now all that remains is to hope that when all is said and done I will have less cavities then my sisters. Okay, I doubt that will even happen. As I sit here, wondering how much my loss will cost me, I can't help but ask this question: Papa, did you pay for Daddy's cavities? Perhaps there is still hope. Ah, they have come. Goodbye, fellow friends and family, I leave for a dark, fear-inspiring place. Do not mourn, for there must still be hope out there . . .  the hope that is lost to me.

P.S. Okay, no more Shakespeare for me. I am not all that gloomy, yet.

Update: And I will not be gloomy! In fact, quite the opposite! I just escaped the dentist with NO cavities! It turns out that the discomfort I was feeling in one of my teeth was caused by it being chipped, not by a cavity. There is still hope! To roughly quote my favorite hobbit Samwise Gamgee: "It's like in the stories, Mister Frodo, the stories that really mattered; the ones where you didn't want to hear the end, because how could it end happy? But the heroes in those stories, they were holdin' on to something."
Frodo: "What were they holding onto, Sam?"
Sam:    "That there's still good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fightin' for!"

Indeed! So I will continue to brush me pearly whites every night, and I will continue to swig that half a mouthful of poison (anticavity wash) in my mouth before I go to bed, even enduring the disgusting taste that lingers after I have vehemently spit the stuff back out. It will all be worth it if only to keep my sisters from gloating at my downfall. So goodbye for now you dark dentist place! This will not be our last meeting, nor will it be my last time I escape from the labyrinth of your halls without a cavity. ;0)

7 comments:

  1. I don't have any cavities at all. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please. The drama... You made us laugh. :) I have never (and hopefully never will) had a cavity... Mr. Drama King. Your line " after all is said and done I will have less cavities then my sisters" makes it sound like we already have cavities!! :o)

    Your loving little sister,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Victoria :-) You goofball. I love your writing Kyle, very creative! Hilarious. Glad you've escaped another dentist appointment. I need to go there soooo bad. It's been a whole year! Longer for Richie though.
    Good job Kari...the bigger the "no cavities" club the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly my heart is warmed by the encouraging input of you, my dear sisters and cousin. Oh if only I could put my words so elegantly, to have this pure symphony flow from my keypad!

    Ahem, well, thanks for the comments anyway. :0) I agree, Lydia, the smaller the no cavity club, the better.

    P.S. Lydia, and maybe you too, Kari, could you stop praying for no snow, or at least not pray about the weather? :0) I am getting worried that we may not even have a good snowfall this year. Lydia, tell Richie that I will be at his disposal for shoveling snow if only we could get one good snow storm! Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha we just went to the dentist yesterday!
    I was terrified that here on the 20th year of my life, my record of no cavities might be erased...... but thankfully after the doc took the x rays he congratulated me on seeing none! Yipppeee!!!!
    I've never had one and never want one!!! :-)

    Congrats to ya'll on being cavity free!!!

    P.S Want snow??? There sure is plenty out this way! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I welcome you, friend of my sisters, back into the illustrious "no-cavity club". Truly this week has proved the undaunting spirit of the brave comrades in our club. We must continue to fight, and we will not be undone!

    Okay, I would like some of that snow, actually. I was just up at Morton yesterday and there was around three inches of the glorious stuff up there.

    To no cavities!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "smaller the no cavity club, the better"? You mean the BIGGER, Kyle!! :o) Currently a club of 6 Bowes kids, 1 Tevis(maybe 2?:o) 1 Johnson and 1 Sympson!

    ReplyDelete