Monday, November 26, 2012

Assignment this week~By Kyle

Hi everyone! Yesterday, the sermon was about giving thanks, and we looked at Psalm 145. This Psalm is a great one for Thanksgiving. As I looked at it, I wondered what it was like for David to sing this Psalm to God. In his language at the time it was a beautiful poem, each verse starting with a different letter of the Hebrew alphabet. I wonder what it would be like to sing these words to God as a poem in our language? So the reason for the assignment. I think it would be interesting and fulfilling for each of us to pick a Psalm of thanksgiving and, sticking as close as we can to the meaning of the Psalm, make a poem out of it. I know, none of us are the next Shakespeare or anything like that,  but still even a drunken sailor can make words rhyme! It does not have to be anything elegant, just do your best! Do you know that that was how the first hymns were sung? That hymns started as just psalms, reworded so that they rhymed? If you cannot think of a Psalm to use right off the top of your head, you can google "Psalms of thanksgiving". :0)

Also, here is a video we watched during the sermon yesterday. Remember daily to give thanks to God! We truly are blessed above and beyond anything we deserve.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, Kyle! I'll look forward to reading everyone else's poems! : -) I tried! I really, really did! But I found it a challenge to "re-write" scripture . . .as its wording is already soooo perfect! And on top of that . . . I definitely do not have any poetic genes! It would take me a loooonng time to come up with something that closely resembles the authenticity of a Psalm and that rhymes! But, I will keep trying!
    I'm so thankful for how the Lord has blessed you with a desire to write and with such good writing abilities! All praise and glory be to Him!
    I love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 100

    1 Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth.
    2 Serve the LORD with gladness;
    Come before Him with joyful singing.
    3 Know that the LORD Himself is God;
    It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
    4 Enter His gates with thanksgiving
    And His courts with praise.
    Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
    5 For the LORD is good;
    His lovingkindness is everlasting
    And His faithfulness to all generations.

    Great idea Kyle! I decided to write my poem after Psalm 100. My attempted poetry isn’t nearly as eloquent as the Psalmist’s writings, but at least I tried! 

    Our joy is in the Lord
    The earth will shout His praise
    Gladly we will serve Him,
    Our songs to Him we’ll raise.

    The Lord Himself is God of all
    He created every man
    And wrote His Story so we could see
    The splendor of His plan.

    The ones He chose to be his own
    He calls us His own sheep
    He watches us and cares for us
    And shows His love is deep

    Enter His gates with thanksgiving
    Let praise be on your tongue
    Bless His name, all the earth
    All people old and young.

    The Lord is never-changing
    His love remains the same
    He’s faithful through the generations
    So to praise Him is my aim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia, that's beautiful! God has gifted you with a creative and thoughtful mind!

    I will see you all tonight!

    With love,
    Kyle


    ReplyDelete