Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursday thoughts~by Kyle

Hi everyone! Sorry I did not post on Tuesday. I could not get into our account (UGH!), and the computer was occupied most of that day.

First off I need would appreciate some help with a grammar question (sigh). I have been editing my book the last few weeks, and am continually baffled by something I still have not decided on. Take a look if you would at these sentences from my book:

He darted a glance at the rest of the group, who were just rounding a bend in the path.

The next assailant raised his menacing sword high above his head and brought it down full force on Aaron, who barely unsheathed his sword in time.

Leaf stared at the dwarf, who moved to the back of the crowd.

In these three sentences I have used a comma before the word "who", but I am not sure that is correct. My parents are split in what they think I should do, so that doesn't help much. I think I can get away with it either way, but I need to be consistent in whatever I decide. Of course, when "who" is at the start of a nonessential phrase in the middle of a sentence I use a comma, Such as in this sentence:

Swift, who had joined the others atop the hill, spoke, "blah, blah, blah." :0)

So, are there any grammar geniuses out there? Even if you are not a genius, I would appreciate any input!:0)

Also, pray for us tomorrow! Us quadruplets are taking our driver's licensing tests tomorrow! We all have been practicing parellel parking and such, and I think we are about as ready as we can get, but I can speak for the rest of my same-age siblings that we are still pretty nervous. Pray that we will pass the test; that we are asigned a non-cranky drive instructor, unlike Lydia and Richie (sorry guys); and that we manage to all at least survive the parallel parking. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a genius but I love grammar! However, you have stumped me. I can't think of a rule that fits that sentence. My gut says no comma. . .

    And as for parallel parking, I drove to Sun City to take my drivers test so that I didn't have to parallel park. They didn't put that part in their test at the time. I still don't know how to parallel park :)

    Love and miss you all!!!
    Aunt Heather

    ReplyDelete